11 January 2009

Nerd Flags and New Homes

I never know just how to start these things, so I suppose I'll just dive right in. It has been quite a while since I posted anything here with any sort of meat to it. I had a conversation with a good friend of mine just the other day and he made a logical argument which convinced me to start posting again. This time I'll make an actual effort to post at least semi-regularly. I bought a new book the other day titled The Professor (which I'll mention more about in a moment) written by one of my favorite authors, Charlotte Bronte. There is a quote in chapter one that well describes how I feel about this blog:

"The leisure time I have at command,....I shall now dedicate to that of the public at large. My narrative is not exciting, and above all, not marvellous; but it may interest some individuals, who,....will find in my experience frequent reflections of their own. The above letter will serve as an introduction. I now proceed."

I must now issue a disclaimer for this next section. I am an English major and have a serious nerd flag. I am about to fly that flag high :) I, as previously mentioned, bought a new book just the other day. I had never read it, never even heard of it and I had no idea what it was about. I knew the author and that was about it. Still, I found myself almost unable to sit still because I was so intensely excited. It was not, is not, the book itself that I found myself to be so excited about but rather, the very idea of written word. I find it to be passionately romantic, regardless of the subject matter. I believe that language spoken aloud is a wonderful thing (as anyone who knows me knows full well). However, I also believe that it takes a certain amount of bravery, commitment and thought to put thoughts to paper. It allows people you never know, and may never meet to see you and get to know you. It is an extremely intimate. As William Makepeace Thackeray wrote about Charlotte Bronte: "Which of her readers has not become her friend?" I feel as though I make a new friend each time I read a book. As I read the same book over and over that friend grows with me, teaches me different things. I just find it to be such a beautiful process. Anyway, with that said, and as I lower my nerd flag and put it away for a while I'd like to state that I am enjoying my new book thus far. :)

On a totally different subject. My house is nearing completion. (Yay!) I may even get to move next weekend. I would have moved this weekend but the rain changed my plans. My library shelves will not be built until several weeks after I move, so my friends will have to remain in their boxes for a bit :( I have quite a few pics of the renovation process... it was quite a change. Let me know if you'd like the link to them. I learned a lot in the process and I'm quite glad I did much of it myself rather than having it done. However, I'm also glad the things are coming to a close.

Well, I suppose that is quite a long post, but it has been quite some time and I had more than a few thoughts to share. More to come later. Feel free to comment :)


4 comments:

julia said...

i enjoyed your nerd flag :)

Mrs. Filly said...

hey! look who's on here! i didn't know :) i'm so excited! :) i also didnt know you werent moved in yet... i want to see renovation pics! come by and talk to me sometime!

Mrs. Filly said...

oh its courtney by the way..your old lunch table crewmember :) you'd know once you saw my site i'm sure

Chris said...

I would like to a link to the pictures.